This is our first time out. We sort of sprang into this because Willa unexpectedly found 3 lbs. of beautiful, fresh beef liver at the meat counter of the local Co-Op grocery store. In future, I'll post the recipe at least 24 hours in advance of demo. In this case, the demo is tomorrow, at 2pm. so forgive the lateness in case you wanted to do this together.
Elinor's Chopped Beef Liver
- Preheat oven to 350 F (also preheat cast iron skillet for onions)
- Fry onions in schmaltz on low or medium heat.
- Place liver on a baking tray, season with salt and pepper. Bake about 45 minutes removing smaller pieces as they finish cooking.
- Blend liver in a food processor with a little extra schmaltz
- Stir in about 3/4 of the onions. Adjust seasoning and schmaltz to desired taste and texture. (We added some morel mushrooms and kelp at this point to make it a bit more of a west coast flavour)
- Top with remaining onions