Hi all, it's Willa again!
This morning Zane and I made kishke and we forgot the paprika! I am here to tell you that it tasted amazing anyway!
Kishke is a classic dish that we served at the deli in our own smoked meat gravy. Now that we’ve made Matzo we’ll break that up into a coarse powder or meal with the food processor. That’s Matzo Meal and it’s part of the recipe for Kishke. The schmaltz is really important to this recipe. We made a roast chicken for dinner last night to render some fat and I’m going to see if I can get some more before we make this tomorrow.
The kishke recipe will go into our fricazee. Kishka adds wonderful flavour and texture to the tomatoey 🍅 fricazee stew with meatballs, chicken wings, chicken hearts and necks.
Loaf style Kishka (according to us)
1 1/2 cups matzo meal
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Roughly chop the celery, carrot and onion. Add to food processor and mince.
- Remove from food processor and mix in matzo meal and schmaltz. Add salt pepper and paprika to taste.
- Form into a log on a sheet of aluminium foil and roll.
- Place foil wrapped kishke logs on baking tray or in a roasting pan.
- Bake for 1 - 1.5 hours turning half way though.
- Let cool to set