This is a classic... also known as Jewish Penicillin this soup is a cure all.
We've made this recipe from Mr. Yitz's own recipe - which he gave Zane generously and unexpectedly when Zane first opened Caplansky's. There is it's own larger post about Yitz coming - he was a mentor and true mensch.
Yitz's Matzo Ball Soup
- Combine all the ingredients for the matzo balls in a large bowl - all the ingredients should be wet. Cover and place in the fridge overnight.
- After the matzo mixture has rested in the fridge it will have expanded and grown tacky to the touch. It should easily hold it's shape. If it looks too dry add some more water and let rest a little longer.
- In a large pot boil salted water.
- Form matzo mixture into balls slightly larger than a golf ball. Carefully place the balls into the water. They will sink.
- When the balls float cook for an additional 30 minutes or until they have almost doubled in size. Remove the matzo balls and set to the side.
- Prepare a chicken broth to your liking using chicken stock, carrots, celery, dill and whatever other ingredients you want (we used morel mushrooms and seaweed)
- If the matzo balls loose a little size from sitting outside of the water add them into the chicken broth to heat and "re-fluff" them before serving.
Watch us make matzo ball soup!!