As Zane describes our Potato Kugel, below, 'this is like a giant latke". We use the same batter and technique (half processed/half shredded potatoes) as with our latkes. Potato kugel is a tasty, crispy smooth potato casserole. It goes wonderfully with a saucy dish like any braise. And especially well with our version that we'll show you as soon as tomorrow.
Using and pre-heating a Dutch Oven is critical. We've never missed using this recipe with this pan. The hot pan ensures the kugel will crisp up on all sides and ultimately fall away from the pan. A sprinkling of oil on the top ensures a golden crust on top too. We're never too shy with the salt. Or pepper.
- Heat oven to 475 F place a dutch oven or 2 muffin tins in the oven to heat.
- Squeeze all of the excess liquids you can from the grated potatoes. We used a cheese cloth to do this - you can use your hands or a tea towel to accomplish this.
- Place half of the potatoes back into the food processor and process into a smoother mixture.
- Place all the potatoes in a large bowl, add grated onion, eggs, and ~6 Tbsp schmaltz. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Carefully remove headed pan(s) from the oven. Add remaining 2 Tbsp of schmaltz to bottom and sides of the pan.
- Pour in mixture and place back in the oven. Bake, uncovered 45 - 50 minutes until cooked in the centre.